So a week ago today I was the smelliest, dirtiest I have ever been huffing and puffing trying to move boxes and furniture and trying not to die of heat exhaustion. I was in North Carolina cleaning out some things from my grandmother's 2nd home. She and my Uncle had been there the week before (and I'll spare you all the family drama that happened for about a month) and I came after as the "clean up crew". I literally booked my plane tickets and made arrangements the week before. I had to leave all my boys behind but I am glad I did because I probably would have taken it out on Matt a week ago today. I don't do well in the heat and they were having a heat wave plus with humdity and going in an out of a house does not help cool oneself down. But I got into work mode and just got it done. The things that I thought would be left behind for me weren't what I expected but I did find some things that made the trip worth it like some of my mother's paitings that were in the garage and some of our fruniture from when her and I lived in NC. I had fond memories of this house and my Mom and I would visit often when we lived about 20 minutes away. My Grandad tried to teach me how to ride a bike in the driveway. I loved the upstairs bedrooms that were just for kids and I would lay in bed at night and hear the train whistle. So I am sad it is no longer in the family but I hope whoever has bought it will take good care of it and restore it since it has fallen apart from lack of visitors. 

While in NC, I got to stay with my childhood friend Shannon. We always say of each other "She's the closest thing I have to a sister" and I guess after 30 years of friendship we are. She's always just right there for me and without even trying she just does things that help me out without her even knowing. We can talk and talk and not get tired of each other. I keep telling her we have to be in the same retirement home when we get old but I don't think she believes I am serious. When we are together we always seem to slip in some kind of fun. This time we made last minute plans to see her boyfriend's friend drag race. Wow I had no idea how popular this sport is and all the science behind it. I got educated about drag racing and I tired to understand the best I could but I could have used a translator. Anyway it was fun and loud!!


Shannon also took me to visit Southern Season which is like a Trader Joe's (for those CA folk) but 100 times better with all kinds of dishware, kitchen stuff and home decor. I could have gone nuts in there but I restrained myself. It was only a 4 day trip (which 2 of those are traveling) so it was short and bittersweet.
I have so much else to post like an update on the house flip, my latest layouts for Picture Me Perfect but I'll keep you all anticipating....

I am a Typist.

4 comments:
those are some great memories kent. glad you got to visit and hope you brought back your mom's paintings. that's awesome!
also, glad you have shannon. everyone needs a friend like that!!
thank you for sharing some of your memories. what a beautiful home!
i LOVE your lo with mambi hanging at suzy's. gorgeous!
see you soon! looking forward to seeing more of your gg stuff!
thank you for sharing some of your memories. what a beautiful home!
i LOVE your lo with mambi hanging at suzy's. gorgeous!
see you soon! looking forward to seeing more of your gg stuff!
so glad to hear from you! i was hoping everything was okay with you. and i am glad you have such wonderful memories to share of NC
Post a Comment