Sunday, July 06, 2008

A real life good samaritan!

So 4th of July, Matt has to work which means he had to sleep during fireworks so he could get up at 11pm to leave for work. The boys and I were deciding whether we should go see fireworks or not since we would be missing a member of our family.

At the last minute we decided to go so I sped over to Church on the Hill and caught the last bus up the hill (first mistake). We saw the show and it was great because not only could we see theirs but we could also see downtown SJ's and a couple of other ones at the same time. They said there were 10,00 people where we were so when it ended there was a mob going back down the hill to find their cars. We stayed with the mob (2nd mistake).

So we are walking...and walking...and walking and the crowd is thinning out and I am thinking any minute now we are going to hit the street I parked on. So after about 1/2 hour of walking with me clutching my boy's hands I realize we are TOTALLY lost!! I am totally waking in the dark, in a neighborhood I don't know and I am never going to hit the street that I parked on! So I try to play it off to the boys that I know what I am doing thinking what the heck am I going to do?!

I start asking people who are hanging out on their lawns where the particular street is that I parked on. The first group is all from Arkansas and look at me like I speak a foreign language (and this is no diss to the state of Arkansas - one man informed me this was where he was from so I guessed that means he had no idea where he was either). The next group I ask included two men who take great joy in telling me how freaking far I am from where I parked (yeah I know that). I had walked clear down the wrong side of the hill (due to mistake #1 not watching where the bus was going and mistake #2 thinking the mob of people are all parked where I was parked). They then tell me in excrutiating detail that I have to cross over a freeway, avoid a bad neighborhood etc all at 11pm at night with two boys with me. I stay calm and brave and head off. Thank GOD, one of the men's wives has sense enough to have them stop me as I am walking away and offer to drive me to my car. Thank you kind, smart lady that knows men are not so quick to pick up on the obvious. So I finally end up home with Timmy telling me that he knew I didn't know what I was doing all along - thanks son! And Tyler telling his Dad that we had an adventure when we got home just in time for him to leave for work!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OH Kent! I am so glad that lady was smart enough to tip off the dufus guy! Glad you got help and home safe. How nervous you must have been! Glad you had a good time though!

emelyn said...

KENT!! That sounds so scary, esp with your 2 sons, THANK GOD you found some nice people out and about at 11pm.

Rocio said...

Glad to see you got home safe. That's scary. Good thing that women thought of driving you guys to your car.

BTW, You have been tagged by me check out my blog.

erin said...

omgosh kent, what a nightmare! thankfully, it had a happy ending. thank God for the kindness of strangers:)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online